As a participant in sport Neil has a varied background having as a junior won regional championships in Judo and also being competitive in Fencing and Rugby before taking part as a senior in duathlon, where he represented his province at Nationals and won selection to World Champs at Rimini in 2001 before moving into Triathlon.
Neil began coaching in 2003 and as coach and coach educator he has worked with athletes and coaches at all levels from development to Olympic and has always focused on developing and implementing strategies that help develop the individual and give them the tools to strive to achieve their goals.
Qualifications and accreditations
- British Triathlon Level 3 Coach
- International Triathlon Union Coach Facilitator
- National Coach Education Advisor
- Post Graduate Certificate in Performance Coaching
- Retul Certified Bike fitter
Coaching related experience
- Part of the High-performance Coaching Team responsible for the preparation of the SA Triathlon Rio Olympic Squad
- Coach for South African Team World Champs Copenhagen 2017
- High Performance Coach for South Africa Para Tri Squad 2015, 2016, 2017
- Coach to South African Elite Squad to Chicago World Champs 2015
- Coach of South African Elite team to ITU World Cup race Tongyeong 2015
- Awarded National Protea Colours for Coaching in 2013
- Coach to the South African Squad to London World Champs 2013 (Para and U23 elite)
- Coached a number of age group medallists in both Duathlon and triathlon at national and world champs.
Coach Education Experience
Neil has been involved in Coach Education since completing the British Triathlon Coach Development programme in 2008. Since then Neil has run over 25 Coach development clinics including:-
- Multiple level 1 and level 2 Triathlon Coaching courses for British Triathlon in the UK.
- Multiple level 1 courses and 2 level 2 courses for Triathlon South Africa.
- Qualified as a certified ITU coach education facilitator and conducted courses in Africa, Middle East and the far East.
- Been involved with the development of the National Coaching Framework pathway with other sports federations and the National Sports and Olympic Body.